On 5 May 2016, Amendment 86 was approved by the Minister for Major Projects, Territories and Local Government, the Hon. Paul Fletcher MP.
- Creates a revised and modernised National Capital Plan.
- Amends metropolitan planning arrangements to provide greater flexibility to the ACT Government to accommodate the growth of Canberra.
- Reduces duplication and complexity in planning.
- Ensures continued Commonwealth interest in areas identified as having the special characteristics of the National Capital.
The key issues raised during public consultation for Draft Amendment 86 were:
- land use for CSIRO Ginninderra
- land use and Development conditions for Anzac Park East and West
- land use change at Block 10 Section 13 Forrest
- land title in the ACT
- heritage protection
Amendment 86 is part of a comprehensive review of the National Capital Plan. Information about the review of the National Capital Plan is available here.
Further information is available from Rebecca Sorensen on (02) 6271 2851, Fax (02) 2671 2890, or email email@example.com.
The NCA is undertaking a reform process to update the Plan and to amend the planning arrangements between the Australian and ACT Governments. The Plan has not been holistically reviewed since it came into effect in 1990. The Plan reform is intended to achieve four key outcomes:
- Create a revised and modernised National Capital Plan.
- Amend metropolitan planning arrangements to provide greater flexibility to the ACT Government to accommodate the growth of Canberra.
- Reduce duplication and complexity in planning.
- Ensure continued Commonwealth interest in areas identified as having the special characteristics of the National Capital.
In June 2015, the NCA released an Exposure Draft of a revised Plan that proposed key changes relating to:
- the structure and format of the document
- metropolitan planning (matters such as urban form, land use, transport and infrastructure)
- areas identified as having special characteristics of the National Capital (Designated Areas)
- areas where there is a high level of Commonwealth interest but where the detailed planning role is shared between the National Capital Authority and ACT Government (Special Requirements)
Draft Amendment 85
Amendment 86 incorporates the changes proposed to the Plan by Draft Amendment 85 – West Belconnen Urban Development. To simplify the approvals process the NCA elected to combine the two proposals. The NCA’s consultation process for Draft Amendment 85 ran concurrently with the process conducted by the ACT Government’s Environment and Planning Directorate (EPD) for Draft Territory Plan Variation 351 (DV351).
On 22 May 2015, Draft Amendment 85 and DV351 were released for public comment. The key issues raised during public consultation for Draft Amendment 85 were:
- Cross border jurisdiction
- Environmental protection
- Murrumbidgee River and Ginninderra Falls
- Landscape character of Hills Ridges and Buffers spaces of the ACT
- Urban Consolidation
A full description and NCA response to the issues is available in the report on consultation here.
EPD separately prepared a consultation report addressing matters related to DV351 and the Territory Plan.