Works Approval 19670 - Block 8 Section 24, City - Installation of a 'Pop-up' style retail outlet
The National Capital Authority (NCA) has prepared a Consultation Report for a Works Approval application from Acton Developments for the installation of a 'Pop-Up' style retail outlet within the John Avery Gardens at New Acton. The Report was prepared in accordance with the NCA's 'Commitment to Community Engagement (August 2011)'which details how the NCA conducts consultation.
Purpose of Report
The purpose of the report is to provide a greater level of consistency and transparency in the NCA's decision making process. The Consultation Report outlines the submissions received and provides responses to the issues raised. The public consultation was undertaken between 3 and 19 November 2014.
Nine written submissions including one submission of support were received. The key issues raised in the submissions were:
- The proposal will result in the loss of part of a highly utilised green space within the New Acton precinct
- The proposal will impact on the amenity of the residents in adjacent apartments and the overall amenity of the gardens and surrounding areas
- The use of a modified shipping container for the retail outlet is not considered an appropriate design and quality for the subject site
- The proposed use would be detrimental to Mr Spokes bicycle business
- Concern about encroachment onto public land
- There is no confidence in the operators to show regard for their neighbours or visitors to the area in operating the business
- Further consultation with residents should be undertaken on the proposal.
The proposal was assessed as being inconsistent with the National Capital Plan, and Works Approval was not granted.