Commonwealth Place is an open space venue located on the southern shores of Lake Burley Griffin. The versatility and unique location of this venue makes it ideal for a wide range of events and festivals.
Commonwealth Place features:
- A ‘cupped square’ grass amphitheatre which includes grass terraces and ‘Speakers Square’, a paved area that provides a focal point for events; and
- A large forecourt area with access to power and water, with magnificent waterfront views.
Commonwealth Place is suitable for a variety of events such as:
- Ceremonial including Flag Raising Ceremonies;
- Outdoor performances;
- Music recitals;
- Filming and Photography;
- Dance performances;
- Corporate functions; and
Further information and conditions of use
When you use Commonwealth Place there are some conditions that you need to comply with. These are:
- No structures or signs are to be erected without the prior approval in writing of the National Capital Authority. Tables and chairs are permitted, but must be removed immediately following the function;
- No major structures will be permitted within the Land Axis Corridor;
- The use of PA systems must not exceed standard domestic specifications. Larger systems will require additional approval subject to EPA conditions and event approval;
- Ensure that if you are playing live music at your event you have acquired a licence from the Australasian Performing Right Association and the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia to cover any copyright issues;
- Public access must be maintained at all times;
- Your activity is to be managed in an orderly manner and the area left in a clean condition. It is the responsibility of the event organiser is to ensure that the activity is safely conducted;
- It is a condition of approval that the approval ceases when a delegate gives written notice to the holder of the approval, or to a representative of the holder of the approval, that the approval is cancelled. A delegate can give such notice as the delegate sees fit in their absolute discretion, including where the delegate considers that the event should not proceed due to safety or public health concerns; and
- If you require power access, please contact the Authority on (02) 6271 2888 one week before the event to arrange collection of the key/s. A $500.00 bond is required for the use of power and or gates, refundable upon its return. Keys may be collected during business hours from the National Capital Authority, Ground Floor, Treasury Building, King Edward Terrace, Parkes. The Authority is not open on ACT Public Holidays and weekends.
- Grassed cupped square 100m×50m;
- Speakers Square 10m×10m; and
- Forecourt 120m×30m.
- Various public carparks in the Parliamentary Zone.
Cupped Square Power
- 2×32A 3 phase;
- 4×20A 3 phase; and
- 1×10A single phase.
- 1×32A 3 phase;
- 6×15A 3 phase;
- 2×32A 3 phase; and
- 4×15A single phase.
- Public toilets located at Commonwealth Place and nearby at Reconciliation Place; and
- Water taps located nearby on sides of venue.