Old Parliament House - Senate Gardens
The unrivalled beauty of the Old Parliament House Gardens makes them a popular venue within the Parliamentary Zone. With their formal patterned garden beds, seating pavilions, pergolas, wisteria arbours, cross paths, trellises and open lawns, the Old Parliament House Gardens can offer your event a location with connections to Canberra's early history. The Senate Garden is located on the western side of Old Parliament House (to the viewer's right when facing the building)
Where: Parliament Square, Parkes
Services: Public Toilets are located within the garden. Power and potable water is available.
Parking: 1 minute walk from the closest carpark across Queen Victoria Terrace.
At this Venue you can host:
- Private events such as Weddings
- Filming and photography
This Venue is not suited to:
- Car Shows
- Major events
- Formal and Informal sporting events
- Public Demonstrations
Things to think about when planning your event at this specific venue:
- The only vehicles permitted in the gardens are vendors that trade out of a van/ trailer. A vehicle may move trailers into position. The vehicle is to be immediately removed from the gardens. All other event related equipment and structures must be carried in.
- Vendors must use the pre-approved route shown on page four for bump in and out.
- Garden open times – Gardens are locked from sunset to sunrise. To organise longer opening times please contact the events team. This service will incur a charge.
- Nothing is permitted to be placed in the Rose Garden beds;
The capacity and profile of events with in the Senate Gardens needs to be calculated in relation to the amount of usable open space (the actual garden bed areas should be deducted from the workable area), and more importantly the constraints presented by the narrow gates as egress points which can not be altered. The capacity modelling for the Senate Garden must factor in safe egress at the minimum of 62 people per metre per minute with safe evacuation of the site with in 5-8 minutes. Maximum densities for any enclosed area should not exceed 4.5 people per metre as a secondary consideration.
There are two power boxes within the Senate Gardens, Old Parliament House. Please refer to Venue Map.
Each box has: 6x10A single phase power / 1x32A 3 phase
Public toilets are located within the Senate Gardens, Old Parliament House.
Events with a projected capacity over 200 persons should consider additional toilet facilities consistent with the Australian Capital Territory Health Guidelines
Kiosks can be booked as a servery for functions. Inside the kiosks you will find a microwave, bar fridge boiling and chilled water tap and power points.
Fees apply for use of the tennis courts - email firstname.lastname@example.org for bookings.