Rond Terrace and Commonwealth Park are part of the Parliament House Vista. The Park was designed to provide a green backdrop to the Lake and spectacular views are provided across the Lake. The Park also frames the corridor from Parliament House to the Australian War Memorial and is an extension of Anzac Parade.
Where: Parkes Way, Parkes
Services: Public Toilets are located at Commonwealth Park East next to the Parkes Way underpass. Power and potable water is available.
Parking: 5 minute walk from the closest carpark under the Parkes Way underpass to Constitution Avenue
At this Venue you can host:
- Ceremonial and commemorative
- Filming and photography
- Formal and informal sport events
- Public Celebrations
- Charity Events
This Venue is not suited to:
- Car shows
- Concerts and Festivals
- Major public events (excluding ceremonial / commemorative)
Things to think about when planning your event at this specific venue:
- No major structures will be permitted in the Land Axis corridor (shown in orange on the attached map)
- The Red scoria is not to be used for events (other than ceremonial)
- Limited Parking in close proximity to the venue – closest parking at Constitution Avenue accessible via a pedestrian tunnel under Parkes Way.
- Parkes Way median strips are no parking zones. No parking signs are required to be added to your Traffic Management plan.
- Adequate provision for wet weather and other contingencies
- Events shall not obstruct public access along the shared paths on the Lake foreshore.
Grassed Area – 10100m2
Event capacity at the venue is determined by the nature of the event, program, length of time, seasonality, activity and infrastructure.
Standing/viewing capacity: Maximum density should in a congested area (eg,in front of a stage/performance space/area of heavy traffic/congestion) remain below a benchmark of 4.0 persons per metre. On average across the event site the density should remain 2.5 persons per metre squared.
Emergency Egress: A minimum flow rate of 62 people per metre per minute should be maintained for emergency egress with a benchmark of full evacuation within 5-8 minutes – subject to recommendations or conditions from the Australian Capital Territory Emergency Services Authority and/or Australian Federal Police.
Each box has: 6x10A single phase power / 1x32A 3 phase
Located at Commonwealth Park East next to the Parkes Way underpass.
Events with a projected capacity over 200 persons should consider additional toilet facilities consistent with the Australian Capital Territory Health Guidelines.