The unrivalled beauty of the Old Parliament House Rose Gardens makes them a popular venue within the Parliamentary Triangle. With their formal patterned garden beds, seating pavilions, pergolas, wisteria arbours, cross paths, trellises and open lawns, the Old Parliament House Rose Gardens can offer your event a location with connections to Canberra's early history. The Senate Rose Garden is located on the western side of Old Parliament House (to the viewer's right when facing the building).
The Senate Rose Garden features:
- The Rex Hazlewood Rose Garden;
- The Robert Broinowski Garden;
- Cricket Pitch;
- Grassed landscape areas;
- Unique garden backdrops;
- Seating pavilions;
- Kiosks for the service of food and beverages;
- Lighting for evenings; and
- Tennis Courts
The Senate Rose Garden is the perfect venue for:
- Private parties and functions;
- Corporate functions; and
Further information and conditions of use
When you use the Senate Rose Garden there are some conditions that you need to comply with. These are:
- Vehicles are not permitted within the Gardens. All vehicles are to be parked in the designated parking areas;
- No structures or signs are permitted within the Gardens without the prior approval of the National Capital Authority. Marquees and other large structures must only be erected on the Cricket Pitch. Tables, chairs and decorations are allowed, but they must be removed immediately following the event;
- The use of PA systems must not exceed standard domestic specifications. Larger systems will require additional approval subject to EPA conditions and event approval;
- Ensure that if you are playing live music at your event you have acquired a licence from the Australasian Performing Right Association and the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia to cover any copyright issues;
- The Gardens are closed and locked at 8.00pm;
- The area is to be managed in an orderly manner and left in a clean and tidy condition. It is the responsibility of the event organiser to ensure that the activity is safely conducted;
- If you require power or kiosk access, please contact the Authority on (02) 6271 2888 one week before the event to arrange collection of the key/s. A $500.00 bond is required for the use of the kiosk, and a $500.00 bond is required on the use of power key/s, refundable upon their return. Keys may be collected during business hours from the National Capital Authority, Ground Floor, Treasury Building, King Edward Terrace, Parkes. The Authority is not open on ACT Public Holidays and weekends.
- If you have booked the kiosk for your event, please ensure that all rubbish is taken away and the area is thoroughly cleaned at the end of your booking;
- It is a condition of approval that the approval ceases when a delegate gives written notice to the holder of the approval, or to a representative of the holder of the approval, that the approval is cancelled. A delegate can give such notice as the delegate sees fit in their absolute discretion, including where the delegate considers that the event should not proceed due to safety or public health concerns; and
- The Gardens are a public place and access is unrestricted. Members of the public are entitled to access the area and you are not entitled to prevent public access.
- Landscaped gardens with roses as the predominant planting.
- Public car parks are available on King George and Queen Victoria Terraces.
- 12 × single phase, 2 × 32A 3 phase.
- Water bubblers;
- Water taps; and
*The kiosks can be booked for functions. A $500 refundable bond is required for use of the kiosk.
OPH Court Booking & Membership Information
- Click here to hire the Tennis Court [External Link]
- Click here for membership information [External Link]
- For further information contact Tennis Canberra.