The National Capital Authority (NCA) manages the National Land within Canberra. Events held on National Land require a Permit and Licence Agreement to use the land and works approval to erect structures. 

To submit a Venue Enquiry please fill in and email this Event Permit Application Form and a copy of your Public Liability insurance to

  1. Pick your venue
  2. Reserve your venue in consultation with the Events team
  3. Prepare and lodge your documentation
  4. Payment of fees and charges

Timeframes may vary depending on the scale and nature of your event and are to be use as a guide only. The NCA reserves the right to charge a late fee or reject an application if the below minimum timeframes are not met.

Timeframes Items
4 months prior to bump in Reserve your Venue
3 Months prior to bump in Lodge Event Documentation
1 Month prior to bump in Pay fees and charges

The NCA manages multiple venues, suitable for a wide range of events. Our Venues include but are not limited to, Aspen Island, Anzac Parade, Commonwealth Park, Stage 88, Commonwealth Place, Federation Mall, Kings Park, Old Parliament House Gardens and Regatta Point. 

Your event is assessed on the suitability of the venue. Please be sure to take venue limitations into consideration when booking and planning your event. Unsuitability of a venue for an event will cause delays is the application process and may lead to your application being denied.

After receiving your venue enquiry the events team will email you to confirm availability, suitability of the venue and provide you with an application package. In the package you will find:

  • Lodgement timelines
  • A list of documentation required specific to your event
  • Documentation templates 
  • A quote of fees and charges.

To submit a Venue Enquiry please fill in and email this Event Permit Application Form and a copy of your Public Liability insurance to

Once you have reserved your venue and if you plan to have structures/services at your event, you will need to apply for Works Approval.

Public Liability Insurance (PLI)

A copy of your Public Liability Insurance (Minimum 20 million) is required with each event application. Your PLI is to be current for the time of your event.

Event Operations Plan

Event Operations Plan should provide detailed information of the event to give the assessments officer a understanding of your event.

The following information is recommended for inclusion (but not limited to):

  • Event overview including details of activities, entertainment and purpose of your event
  • Run Sheet including bump in/bump out and event timings
  • Event services such as first aid, catering, waste management, cleaning
  • Crowd management plan such as crowd flow, ingress/egress, transport management, traffic management
  • Security Plan required for large events, events with liquor or events with infrastructure left onsite overnight. It should include details of security company, times onsite etc.
  • Emergency Response Plan including evacuation plan and meeting points, emergency services locations, advise how participants will be informed of emergency
  • Weather Contingency Plan at what point will the event be cancelled due to weather and who will make this call.

Risk Management Plan

This plan needs to identify all potential risks associated with holding your event and how you plan to mitigate these. All events have risks involved, but if your event is large or complex you will need to have your plan completed by a professional.

Site Map

A map of the venue detailing the proposed layout of your event. A map can be found in the venue toolkit

Route Map

A map of the events intended route (if applicable)

Works Approval

A Works Approval application is required to be submitted if you intend to erect any structures at the venue.

Application for 10 or more days

If you plan to erect structures for events more than 10 days including bump in and out a Works Approval Online (WAeL) application will need to be submitted. Information on costs associated with a WAeL application can be found at the webpage.

Application under 10 days

If you plan to erect structures for events less than 10 days including Bump in and out, Please fill in and submit a Works Approval application. Be sure to list sizes and amount of all marquees, stages, toilets etc. Also include road closure signage, coffee vans, display vehicles, generators lighting towers etc.

Depending on the type and size of structure specs and/or engineering certification may be required. The events team will advise you once your works approval application is submitted.

Stakeholder Report

You will need to consult with key stakeholders and provide NCA Events with a Consultation Report detailing any issues or concerns, and how these issues will be resolved.
A stakeholder list will be sent to you with your application package.

Crowded Places Strategy

Depending on the size and venue, your event may require a Crowded Places Strategy. Please see Australia's Strategy for Protecting Crowded Places from Terrorism to determine whether a Crowded Places Strategy Plan is required for your event.

Other Approvals

Temporary Traffic Management Plan and Approval

If your event requires a road, shared path or car park closure, you will need to provide the NCA with a Temporary Traffic Management Plan and Approval. 

The NCA will advise you on this during the planning process:

  • Road Closures need to be finalised at least 4 weeks in advance of the event date
  • By law any activity that requires a road closure must be publicly advertised to the event taking place at least seven days prior

Regardless of the size of the closure, the event organiser is required to contact:

  • Roads ACT, Territory and Municipal Services Directorate on 6207 6601
  • Australian Federal Police Major Event Planning Unit on 6287 0219

The Temporary Traffic Management Plan identifies where roads need to be closed and the appropriate detours required to maintain the flow of traffic. Roads ACT will design the traffic management plan, regardless of where the event takes place. Once the plan has been designed and approved copies issued to the Australian Federal Police and NCA Events Coordination Officer, the event organisers are then responsible (with police assistance, if necessary) for the implementation of the plan.

The event organiser must also:

  • liaise with any institution or business that may be effected by a road closure
  • supply the NCA with a letter from the relevant institution, or business, stating its acceptance of the closure

Signs and Barriers

It is the responsibility of the event organisers to:

  • procure, place and recover road closure signage and barricades
  • pay for them
  • implement the closure on the event day with the appropriate signage, traffic marshals etc

Road Closure Notices

These are created and placed in the Public Notices section of The Canberra Times by:

  • the NCA for activities on National Land
  • the NCA for activities jointly on National and Territory Land (or Designated Areas)
  • Roads ACT Branch (ACT Urban Services) for activities elsewhere within the ACT

To allow for drawing-up and appropriate submission time, advice on road closures is to be with the NCA 4 weeks in advance of the event taking place. 

Public Notices are published in the Saturday edition of the Canberra Times, one week before the event.

Traffic Marshals

It is the responsibility of the event organisers to allocate personnel to act as marshals for the activity and to brief them on their duties and responsibilities. Organisers of events are to provide Roads ACT the following information prior to the day of the event:

  • the full names of the personnel allocated to the marshal duties
  • the contact details of the personnel allocated to the marshal duties

Roads ACT will advise event organisers on the requirements for traffic marshals.

If your event will have any of the following please contact Access Canberra at for permits and approvals:

  • Liquor
  • Food service
  • Environmental Application (noise permits)
  • ACT Government Land Use Approval.

A copy of all approvals must be submitted as part of your application.

Click here for further information on Lake and Road Closures.

If you would like to discuss Event fees and charges with a member of our Events team, please email or phone 02 6271 2888.

Can I use a drone?

No. The National Triangle is a no-fly zone

What is a structure?

  • Tentage (eg. marquees, tents, sun-shelters)
  • Amusement structures (eg. jumping castles, merry-go-rounds, train rides, ferries wheels etc.)
  • Fencing, barriers, barricades, bunting, star pickets, stakes and/or staked arches
  • Screens, stages, dais' and/or platforms
  • Portable toilets
  • Scaffolding (including screen supports, sound towers and/or camera towers)
  • Water buoys
  • Signage, flags and/or banners
  • Vehicles and concession vans.

Parking for events?

All attendees to your event should be aware that it is an offence under the National Land (Road Transport) Ordinance 2014 to park a vehicle on open space in the area where your event is being held. 

Open space is any area that is not designed for the movement or parking of motor vehicles, such as grassed areas, footpaths and landscaped areas. 

The NCA will be enforcing parking regulations for the duration of this event, and attendees should ensure they park legally to avoid the risk of an infringement being issued to their vehicle.

Click here for more information on parking in the National Triangle.

If you need further assistance with the registering and approval of your event on National Land contact the Estate Approvals and Compliance Officer.

Phone: (02) 6271 2888

Street Address

National Capital Authority
Ground Floor, Treasury Building
King Edward Terrace, Parkes ACT 2600