Private events are defined as organised gatherings involving people who have the non-exclusive use* of a specific venue. Events such as weddings, birthdays parties, engagement parties, vow renewals and farewells.

Points to note:

  • Popular venues such as Old Parliament House Gardens and Aspen Island book out early!
  • Consult the NCA Website well in advance of your planned date to check availability.
  • The NCA cannot guarantee exclusive use of a venue as they are public spaces.
  • You are responsible for the safe conduct of your event.
  • Weddings are not permitted at Rond Terrace, Federation Mall or on Anzac Parade.
  • If you choose Aspen Island for your event; you may like to consider a recital played especially for you! Contact the NCA for more information on (02) 6271 2888.
  • Several public parks and gardens along the foreshore of Lake Burley Griffin are managed by the ACT Government. Their permission is required to use the land for events. Please see the Public land Use Website or email direct at A NCA Works Approval Application is required for associated temporary structures on this land.

The Following fees may be applicable to your event:

  • $110 fee for Works Approval Application if you plan to erect any structures. Depending on the size and amount of structures, your event may be classified as Exclusive Use. A Venue Hire Fee and Bond will be charged for exclusive use events. 
  • $500 refundable deposit for the use of keys to access power and/or gates.
  • $500 refundable deposit for the OPH Kiosk keys - if the Kiosk is left untidy a $100 cleaning fee will be deducted from your key bond.

Works Approval

A Works Approval Form is required to be submitted if you intend to erect structures at your venue i.e. marquees, stages, road closure signage, coffee vans, display vehicles, etc. General furniture items are not considered structures.

It is a requirement of your Works Approval that an irrigation mark out of the event site be conducted prior to your event. Please contact Citywide at least three weeks prior to your event via email at to arrange a suitable time. Costs associated with this is the responsibility of the event organiser.

Booking your Event

Check availability and register for private events on National Land here

You can change or cancel your private event registration at any time using your reference number. To do this, go to the Venue Reservation system and login with your full name and reference number which was generated at time of your initial registration.

Please note that each registration has a unique reference number. If you wish to make more than one registration, you will need to return to the start page and make a separate registration.

Wedding photographs on National Land

If you are planning to have your wedding photographed on National Land in the central parts of Canberra, please be aware it is an offence to park a vehicle on the landscaped spaces. This includes access paths, grassed areas and paved surfaces in and around the national institutions, Old Parliament House Gardens and East and West Lawns. Vehicles driving and parking on open space cause damage to the landscape such as, tree roots, plants and irrigation infrastructure. Vehicles can also impact pedestrian access and safety.

If you wish to have wedding photographs taken on National Land in the central parts of Canberra, ask your driver to stop on the side of the road and walk the short distance to the location. Please note that areas sign posted as 'No Parking' can be used for drop off and pick up points of passengers without the risk of being issued an infringement, provided the vehicle moves on as soon as practicable. If you wish to have wedding vehicles in your photographs, you will be required to seek the approval of the National Capital Authority.

Substantial damage is caused by vehicles driven and parked illegally on open space. Infringement notices may be issued to vehicles that are illegally parked.

For assistance with the organisation and co-ordination of your wedding on national land contact the Estate Approvals and Compliance Officer:

Phone: (02) 6272 2901


* Depending on the size and amount of structures, your event may be classified as Exclusive Use. A Venue Hire Fee and Bond  will be   charged for exclusive use events.