At the heart of the National Capital are unique venues for cultural, public, ceremonial, community celebrations, displays and exhibitions, theatre, musical concerts, food and wine festivals and a myriad of other events.

Events held on National Land require a Permit and Licence Agreement to use the land and works approval to erect structures. Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions below for more information about structures.

To submit a Venue Enquiry please fill in and email this Event Permit Application Form and a copy of your Public Liability insurance to

  1. Pick your venue, read the toolkit and consult with the events team
  2. Reserve your venue
  3. Prepare and lodge your Documentation
  4. Payment of fees and charges

Timeframes may vary depending on the scale and nature of your event and are to be use as a guide only. The NCA reserves the right to charge a late fee or reject an application if the below minimum timeframes are not met.

Timeframes Items
4 months prior to bump in Reserve your Venue
3 Months prior to bump in Lodge Event Documentation
1 Month prior to bump in Pay fees and charges

The NCA has a number of venues zoned for event use. Each Venue has restrictions outlined in the venue toolkit. Your event is assessed on the suitability of the venue. Please be sure to take venue limitations into consideration when booking and planning your event. Unsuitability of a venue for an event will cause delays is the application process and may lead to your application being denied.

After receiving your venue enquiry the events team will email you to confirm availability, suitability of the venue and provide you with an application package. In the package you will find:

  • A venue toolkit;
  • Lodgement timelines;
  • A list of documentation required specific to your event;
  • Documentation templates and
  • A quote of fees and charges

    To submit a Venue Enquiry please fill in and email this Event Permit Application Form and a copy of your Public Liability insurance to

Once you have reserved your venue and If you plan to have structures/services at your event, you will need to apply for Works Approval.

Public Liability Insurance (PLI)

A copy of your Public Liability Insurance (Minimum 20 million) is required with each event application. Your PLI is to be current for the time of your event.

Event Operations Plan

Event Operations Plan should provide detailed information of the event to give the assessments officer a understanding of your event.

The following information is recommended for inclusion (but not limited to):

  • Event overview including details of activities, entertainment and purpose of your event;
  • Run Sheet including bump in/bump out and event timings;
  • Event services such as first aid, catering, waste management, cleaning;
  • Crowd management plan such as crowd flow, ingress/egress, transport management, traffic management;
  • Security Plan required for large events, events with liquor or events with infrastructure left onsite overnight. It should include details of security company, times onsite etc.;
  • Emergency Response Plan including evacuation plan and meeting points, emergency services locations, advise how participants will be informed of emergency;
  • Weather Contingency Plan at what point will the event be cancelled due to weather and who will make this call.

Risk Management Plan

This plan needs to identify all potential risks associated with holding your event and how you plan to mitigate these. All events have risks involved, but if your event is large or complex you will need to have your plan completed by a professional.

Site Map

A map of the venue detailing the proposed layout of your event. A map can be found in the venue toolkit

Route Map

A map of the events intended route (if applicable)

Works Approval

A Works Approval application is required to be submitted if you intend to erect any structures at the venue.

Application for 10 or more days

If you plan to erect structures for events more than 10 days including Bump in and out a Works Approval Online (WAeL) application will need to be submitted. Information on costs associated with a WAeL application can be found at the webpage.

Application under 10 days

If you plan to erect structures for events less than 10 days including Bump in and out, Please fill in and submit a Works Approval application. Be sure to list sizes and amount of all marquees, stages, toilets etc. Also include road closure signage, coffee vans, display vehicles, generators lighting towers etc.

Depending on the type and size of structure specs and/or engineering certification may be required. The events team will advise you once your works approval application is submitted.

Information on costs associated with a works approval application can be found on the fees and charges page.

Stakeholder Report

You will need to consult with key stakeholders and provide NCA Events with a Consultation Report detailing any issues or concerns, and how these issues will be resolved.
A stakeholder list will be sent to you with your application package.

Crowded Places Strategy

Depending on the size and venue, your event may require a Crowded Places Strategy. Please see Australia's Strategy for Protecting Crowded Places from Terrorism to determine whether a Crowded Places Strategy Plan is required for your event.

Other Approvals

Temporary Traffic Management Plan and Approval

If your event requires a road, shared path or carpark closure, you will need to provide the NCA with a Temporary Traffic Management Plan and Approval. Please contact Roads ACT.

If your event will have any of the following please contact Access Canberra at for permits and approvals:

  • Liquor
  • Food service
  • Environmental Application (noise permits)
  • ACT Government Land Use Approval

A copy of all approvals must be submitted as part of your application.

Can I use a drone?

No. The National Triangle is a no-fly zone

What is a structure?

  • Tentage (eg. marquees, tents, sun-shelters);
  • Amusement structures (eg. jumping castles, merry-go-rounds, train rides, ferries wheels etc);
  • Fencing, barriers, barricades, bunting, star pickets, stakes and/or staked arches;
  • Screens, stages, dais' and/or platforms;
  • Portable toilets;
  • Scaffolding (including screen supports, sound towers and/or camera towers);
  • Water buoys;
  • Signage, flags and/or banners; and
  • Vehicles and concession vans.