International recognition for Canberra’s Bowen Place Crossing
Canberra’s Bowen Place Crossing, on Lake Burley Griffin, has been announced as the winner of the International Federation of Landscape Architect’s Excellence for Infrastructure Award.
Acting Chief Executive for the National Capital Authority (NCA), Andrew Smith, said that the $10 million project managed by the NCA was initiated to enhance public safety and with the right team it was transformed to a place making opportunity.
“Bowen Place Crossing optimises its key location alongside Lake Burley Griffin and integrates design, with improved safety and connectivity for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.”
“The design by landscape architects Spackman Mossop Michaels, in conjunction with Lahz Nimmo Architects enhances the site’s existing geometries and landscape to create an architectural centrepiece that is minimal, sculptural, refined and elegant.”
“This project further demonstrates the NCA’s commitment to design excellence,” Mr Smith said.
The Bowen Place Crossing project team has already secured multiple design awards:
- 2016 Australian Institute of Architects ACT, 2016 Canberra Medallion
- 2016 Australian Institute of Architects ACT, Sir John Overall Award for Urban Design
- 2016 Australian Institute of Landscape Architects ACT, Award of Excellence for Design in Infrastructure
- 2016 Australian Institute of Landscape Architects, National Landscape Architecture Award – Excellence in Infrastructure,
- 2016 Australian Urban Design Awards, Australia Award for Urban Design, Delivered Outcome – Small Scale
- 2016 National Architecture Award – Walter Burley Griffin Award for Urban Design,
- 2016 Planning Institute of Australia ACT, Great Place Award
The Bowen Place Crossing project has also been recognised through other Australian construction industry awards including:
- 2016 Master Builders Association’s ACT Awards – Civil Works Award presented to Building Contractor, Woden Contractors
- 2016 Civil Contractors Federation Awards – Category 3 for projects $5M-$10M, presented to Building Contractor, Woden Contractors
The International Federation of Landscape Architect’s Award for Excellence for Infrastructure (IFLA) will be presented on 4 November 2017 at the IFLA Asia-Pac awards Gala Ceremony at the IFLA Regional Congress in Bangkok.