Will you accept the challenge?
The inaugural Lake Burley Griffin Water Week Challenge Cup marks the start of the Lake Burley Griffin Recreational Season for 2017-2018 and National Water Week 2017. This year the theme for National Water Week 2017 is: Water - the heart of our culture.
The event is a three-person kayak race from Parkes Place, around the Captain Cook Memorial Jet and back across the finish line.
Why don't you join in the fun, make a team of three and register to participate in this event!
Late registerations are being taken at https://eventplus.co.nz/start?eporg=LBG17 until 5:00pm Friday 13 October 2017.
- All participants must be aged 18 or over
- All equipment (triple kayaks, paddles, PFD's, race bibs) and public liability insurance are provided by AROC Sport
- All participants are required to wear a Personal Floatation Device (PFD) provided on the day
- There will be on water safety support crews supplied by the YMCA Paddle Hub and the ACT SES
- First aid on site provided by Emergency Medic Australia (EMA)
- For everyone's safety, all participants must comply with the Race Rules and follow the instructions from the Race Crew
- The race is limited to 30 teams - get in quick to register!
- Royal Life Saving ACT will host a sausage sizzle
This event has been made possible with the support of the following organisations:
- Participants must arrive at the Queen Elizabeth Terrace marshalling area in Parkes, after 9:30 am and no later than 10:15 am to collect their equipment
- Bring a bottle of water, appropriate clothing, sunscreen, and a tight fitting hat (so that it doesn't fall into the water). A change of clothes might be a good idea too!
- Park in either the National Library of Australia or Questacon car parks (refer to event course map)
- It's advisable that you don't carry phones, cameras or other valuables while participating in the race. AROC Sport and the National Capital Authority will not be responsible for any damage or loss to personal items taken by participants in the race.
Encourage your friends to come and cheer you on!
- 1st Place – Lake Burley Griffin Water Week Challenge 2017 Cup, individual medals and Love Lake Burley Griffin t-shirts for each team member
- 2nd Place - Second place medals for each team member
- 3rd Place - Third place medals for each team member
Participants will collect their equipment at the Queen Elizabeth Terrace marshalling area and climb into their kayaks at Parkes Place, to make their way to the starting line, indicated by floatation buoys.
A starters gun will indicate the start of the race.
The first team to navigate past around the marker buoys, then around the Captain Cook Memorial Jet, and cross the finish line, will be declared the winners.