Traffic Changes at Bowen Place
16 December 2014
Traffic arrangements at Bowen Place in Canberra will change tomorrow to allow for the continued construction of a new pedestrian and cycle crossing.
The off-ramp connecting Kings Avenue to the westbound carriageway of Bowen Drive will remain closed. A partial closure of Bowen Drive located between Kings Avenue and the National Gallery of Australia will also be in place.
During the closure:
- A two way traffic arrangement will be established in the westbound carriageway of Bowen Drive.
- Eastbound vehicles on Bowen Drive will be directed to cross into the westbound carriageway for a short distance.
- Southbound traffic on Kings Avenue exiting into the Parliamentary Zone after crossing Lake Burley Griffin should continue southwards and turn right at King George Terrace.
- Temporary speed cushions and a median refuge will be installed to maintain safety around the key pedestrian and cyclist crossing point.
- Pedestrians and cyclists will need to detour locally around the works for the duration of the project.
- On road cyclists are recommended to detour around the works area and where practicable utilise the off road shared path network.
Traffic in the area will be directed by detour signs.
The partial closures will commence at 3.30pm on Wednesday 17 December 2014 and remain in place until the project is completed in mid 2015.
The changed traffic arrangements are to enable the construction of a new grade-separated pedestrian and cycle crossing at Bowen Place.
When complete, the Bowen Place Crossing will allow motorists, pedestrians and cyclists simultaneous safe passage through the area at all times.
The crossing design includes a 300 metre long path which passes under the existing road at Bowen Place, connecting Kings Avenue to the Lake Burley Griffin foreshore path network.
Path widening and pedestrian lighting works have been undertaken from Bowen Place along the lake foreshore to the north-east of the National Gallery of Australia Sculpture Garden as part of the project.
Attached is an image showing the changed traffic arrangements. Please contact the National Capital Authority if you would like a high resolution version.