The National Rose Gardens were developed at a time when flight was still in its infancy, yet were planted to resemble two roses when viewed from above. The idea was put forward in 1928 but no work was undertaken until 1933, when the Minister for the Interior, John Perkins, planted the first shrub and announced that 2000 of the planned 8000 roses would be planted within a week.
The beds are located on either side of the central lawn in front of Old Parliament House and are open for all to enjoy.
Acknowledgement of Country
Our work is on the land of the Ngunnawal People, Ngunnawal Country. We pay our respects to their Elders – past, present and emerging.