The King George V Memorial is included on the Commonwealth Heritage list and managed by the National Capital Authority. It is located in Parkes Place, a landscape area opposite Old Parliament House on King George Terrace, Parkes, ACT. It is a memorial commemorating the twenty-six-year reign of King George V, Australia’s monarch during Federation and the Great War. The monument was proposed in 1936, but it was not until 1941 that the Art Deco stone monument was constructed and the bronze figure cast in London and installed on the land axis of central Canberra after World War II.
The Memorial symbolises a link between the Monarch, Australian Federation, the early growth of Canberra and changing social and political attitudes of Australia. The relocation from its original location on the land axis to its current site is a significant aspect of the memorial’s history, symbolic of changing Australian attitudes toward Empire, monarchy, war and democracy. The Memorial is also valued for its aesthetic characteristics and special association to George V.
Under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act), all Commonwealth agencies are required to prepare management plans for Commonwealth Heritage listed places under their management. The purpose of this management plan is to identify, protect and manage the heritage values of King George V Memorial. This management plan was prepared in accordance with the Commonwealth Heritage management principles and the requirements under the EPBC Act.
This management plan was reviewed by the Australian Heritage Council.