Surveyors Hut and Surveyors Park Heritage Management Plan
Surveyors Hut and Surveyors Park is listed on the Commonwealth Heritage list and managed by the National Capital Authority. The place is a small urban park with the former surveyors’ Plan Room (now called a hut) and interpretation of the former surveyors’ camp. It is located between State and Capital Circles, Capital Hill.
The place is significant for its historical associations with the national capital, as rare evidence of a specialised technical camp, as an uncommon and early ACT example of a fireproof structure/construction, and for special associations with Charles Scrivener and his survey team. The Surveyors Hut is the only visible remnant of the Federal Survey Camp from 1910-12 and is important as evidence of the vital work that surveyors carried out in narrowing down the site for the national capital and in surveying what became the central city area. The hut may also have associations with the Federal Members’ Camp of 1909, as a marker for that camp.
Under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act), all Commonwealth agencies are required to prepare management plans for Commonwealth Heritage listed places under their management. The purpose of this management plan is to identify, protect and manage the heritage values of Surveyors Hut and Surveyors Park. This management plan was prepared in accordance with the Commonwealth Heritage management principles and the requirements under the EPBC Act.
This management plan was reviewed by the Australian Heritage Council.