Under Section 12 (1) (b) of the Australian Capital Territory (Planning and Land Management) Act 1988 no works are permitted within a designated area unless an application to perform the works has been submitted to the National Capital Authority (NCA) and approved in writing.
The event related works approval process specifically relates to temporary structures and events. If structures are proposed to be in place for more than 10 days, you must submit a Works Approval application to the NCA Planning team.
Works, under the Australian Capital Territory (Planning and Land Management) Act 1988, include the following:
- tentage (eg. marquees, tents, sun-shelters)
- amusement structures (eg. jumping castles, merry-go-rounds, train rides, ferries wheels etc)
- fencing, barriers, barricades, bunting, star pickets, stakes and/or staked arches
- screens, stages, dais' and/or platforms
- portable toilets
- scaffolding (including screen supports, sound towers and/or camera towers)
- pyrotechnic firing platforms/supports/devices
- water buoys
- signage, flags and/or banners
- vehicles and concession vans
Fees and payment
- $110 administration fee is charged for processing a works application, due when lodging your application
- Fees are not refundable if the activity is cancelled, or works are no longer required
Public liability insurance
When works are commercially supplied and/or erected, the organisation/company doing this must provide the NCA with evidence of appropriate public liability insurance.
You may also be required to prepare a risk management plan.
When submitting an application for a works approval, you should also provide the following documentation:
- a map showing the locations and types of all requested works (including signage)
- a copy of the relevant public liability insurance, when required
- for structures being erected on ACT land, within a designated area, you will need a copy of your approved ACT Government ‘Application to Use a Public Place’ form for the relevant venue
Submission of an application
Please note that an application fee of $110 applies and should be paid at lodgement of your application. Fees may be waived for non-profit or charitable organisations.