Originally commissioned in 1936, King George V Memorial was not completed until 1953, due to the Second World War.
The work consists of a bronze statue of George V on one side of a granite pylon and a stone statue of Saint George on the other, to symbolise the leadership of George V through the First World War.
This leadership is echoed in the medallions mounted on the base of the work, representing a nurse, soldier, airman and sailor. As the Duke of York, George V had opened Australia’s first Parliament in 1901, so he and his wife are depicted as they were then, along with Australia’s leaders at Federation: Henry Parkes, Samuel Griffith and Edmond Barton and an imperial crown. In 1953 it was located on the central land axis, directly across from Old Parliament House, but was moved to one side in 1968. This was the preferred location noted by the sculptor, Raynor Hoff, and the designer, Harry Foskett.