Under the Roads and Public Places Ordinance 1937, the Commonwealth, represented by the NCA, may enter into an agreement with persons to operate a business on National Land with respect to holding a Temporary Trader Permit.

Should you wish to apply to enter into such an agreement, please complete the appropriate forms and provide relevant supporting documentation. Before applying, please acquaint yourself with the terms and conditions of the Agreement and sign in the space provided to indicate your acceptance of these terms and conditions.

The National Capital Authority (NCA) will consider applications on factors such as:

  • The nature of the proposed activity
  • Location of the trading site
  • Provision of the necessary insurances and indemnities
  • Compliance with all relevant Commonwealth and Territory laws

The application must be completed online or in hard copy.

When seeking a Temporary Trader Permit, the application must include the following information:

Temporary Trader Application Form 

Complete all fields in the National Capital Authority Temporary Trader Application from. This includes a permit application fee of $25.00.

NCA Works Approval Application Form 

All structures associated with your Temporary Trader Permit (i.e. coffee van, tables, chairs etc.) require a Works Approval Application Form to be submitted to the NCA. Approval of structures attracts a Works Approval fee of $110.00.

Site Plan

Attach one copy of the site plan for your intended location including location of any structures associated with your business (i.e. coffee vans, tables, chairs etc.) This includes:

  • Map of operating area
  • Details of intended structure(s)
  • Photo of intended structure(s)


A certificate of currency in the business name for a minimum of $10 million. This must clearly indemnify the Commonwealth against any claims for the duration of the operation of the Temporary Trader Permit.

Insurance details required by the Workers Compensation Act 1951 (ACT).

Food Registration (if applicable)

Food Act 2001 Registration with the ACT Health Services Branch is required for the sale of food.

Safety Management 

A comprehensive Safety Management Plan is required to be submitted along with the application.

Waste Management 

  • Description of existing public bins
  • Additional bins and proposed locations
  • Cleaning program of market site after daily close of business

Please Note:

  • It is an offence to sell goods on National Land without first applying and obtaining a Temporary Trader Permit from the NCA
  • Do not send the permit fee with the application. If the application is approved, you will be asked to pay the permit fee
  • Temporary Trader Permits, if issued, will only be valid for a specific period