Kings Park Improvements
Kings Park Stage 2 works
Stage 1 works in Kings Park were completed in December 2020 and included additional parking spaces close to Boundless Playground.
Stage 2 works will commence on Monday 13 September 2021 and be undertaken over the next few months. The works have been designed to improve cycle and pedestrian safety, address parking shortages near Blundells Cottage and deliver a range of improvements to enhance the overall visitor experience.
The Stage 2 works include:
- Additional parking near Parkes Way underpass near Blundells Cottage
- Relocation of parking from Blundells Cottage to the new parking area
- Closure of the centre section of Wendouree Drive from Blundells Cottage and near Aspen Island to a cycle only path
- Works to assist the redirection of commuter cyclists from RG Menzies Walk to existing asphalt paths (in Commonwealth Park)
- A new dedicated coach drop-off near Blundells Cottage and a coach drop-off at the National Police Memorial
- Additional disabled parking bays located at the new car park near Blundells Cottage (north end of park)
- Improve mobility and wheelchair accessible pathway to Blundells Cottage
From August 2020 to October 2020, the National Capital Authority (NCA) invited community consultation for the draft King Park Improvement Strategy Draft Concept Plan.
The community consultation found there was majority support for:
- more parking
- road closure
- converting Wendouree Drive to a cycle only path
- options for the separation of cyclists and pedestrians
The comments and ideas as outcomes of the community consultation were used to inform the design development and implementation stages.
Draft Construction Programs for Stage 2
Key plan areas outlined in red
Wendouree Drive road closure near toilets (south end of Kings Park)
Path realign to divert fast cycle off RG Menzies Walk in Commonwealth Park
Car park near Blundells Cottage
Coach drop-off near National Police Memorial
Accessible path to Blundells Cottage
To find out about the closures for this project, please click here.