Captain Cook Memorial Jet Upgrade Works
Central Basin, Lake Burley Griffin
Temporary Road or Lake Closures
Inaugurated in 1970 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the Captain Cook Memorial Jet (Jet) is a major tourist attraction and water feature on Lake Burley Griffin. It is located symmetrically opposite to the National Carillon.
Due to ageing and failing infrastructure, the National Capital Authority undertook major upgrade works to the Jet to ensure that it continues as an iconic feature of Lake Burley Griffin.
The upgrade included:
- Refurbishment of pumps and replacement of hydraulic components;
- Replacement of HV and LV cables;
- Asbestos removal;
- Upgrade of fire and electrical services;
- Refurbishment of the sub-station, including the installation of a new transformer;
- Upgrade of emergency and egress components.