The Griffins’ Plan for Canberra envisaged a city within a natural setting, integrated with its surrounding landforms and characterised by grand streets and boulevards, exceptional architecture and refined urban spaces. Constitution Avenue is a central element of the Griffins’ plan and the National Triangle. Planning schemes of the 1960s resulted in Constitution Avenue being characterised by large areas of surface car parking, poor public realm, driveways, and low scale built form that did not befit its national significance. The National Capital Authority (NCA) reimaged Constitution Avenue as an elegant and vibrant boulevard, linking City Hill to Russell. Urban Design policies introduced a mix of commercial, entertainment and residential land uses, an integrated transport system, high quality public realm, broad tree-lined footpaths, and on-street parking. This has created a people-friendly streetscape and made a lasting contribution to the public realm.
- 2017 Australian Institute of Architects’ ACT Architecture Awards – Canberra Medallion
- 2017 Australian Institute of Architects’ ACT Architecture Awards – Sir John Overall Award for Urban Design
The Bowen Place crossing project was initiated as a public safety enhancement, but the Crossing was also an exercise in place making. The design took advantage of key view corridors to and from the lakeside site including the National Carillon, while ensuring an integrated design that incorporates safe shared use by motorists, pedestrians and cyclists. Lahznimmo Architects in association with Spackman Mossop Michaels Landscape Architects created the refreshingly minimalist design, which complements the existing environs and establishes new landscape connections with the heritage values of the area.
- 2016 Australian Institute of Architects’ National Landscape Architecture Awards – Award of Excellence for Infrastructure
- 2016 Australian Urban Design Awards – Delivered Outcome – Small Scale
- 2016 Australian Institute of Architects’ ACT Architecture Awards – Canberra Medallion
- 2016 Australian Institute of Architects’ ACT Architecture Awards – Sir John Overall Award for Urban Design
- 2016 Australian Institute of Landscape Architects ACT Awards – Award of Excellence for Design in Infrastructure
- 2016 Master Builders Association ACT Awards – Civil Works
- 2016 Civil Contractors Federation ACT Awards – Category 3
- 2016 Planning Institute of Australia Awards for Planning Excellence – The Great Place Award
Humanities and Science Campus
From Plan to Place
The National Capital Authority was honoured at the ACT Chapter of the Planning Institute of Australia's Awards as winners of 'From Plan to Place award 2011' for the Humanities and Science Campus Square. The From Plan to Place award goes to an organisation that recognises the implementation of a plan into a successful place.
West Basin Design Guidelines
Highly Commended - Best Planning Ideas – Small’
The National Capital Authority was honoured at the ACT Chapter of the Planning Institute of Australia's Awards 2014 as receiving a ‘Highly Commended award' for the Humanities and Science Campus Square for best planning ideas ‘small’ category. Click here to see the West Basin Guidelines.