The NCA will ensure West Basin is planned, designed and developed as a distinctive, urban waterfront precinct that embodies the best of contemporary Canberra, builds on its history and incorporates spaces and activities that ensure its ongoing success.
West Basin will have the following urban design features:
- A generous waterfront parkland activated by a complementary mix of uses, activities and events
- An integrated, permeable network of well-designed public spaces, paths and streets that support vibrant public life and high connectivity
- Buildings and structures of high architectural quality and environmental performance that unifies the different precincts with the City Centre
West Basin will be a place that is:
- Engage with the site's context, and embody the special features, history and memory of the site.
- Design public spaces and streets that encourage and support walking, cycling and public transport over cars.
- Make a continuous public pathway along the waterfront and connect to a wider network of paths and streets.
- Define a mixture of land uses, building types, spaces and facilities that will support a vibrant community.
- Encourage a density of residents, workers and visitors that will help ensure public spaces are popular across the day and evening.
- Design West Basin as a place with a wide range of social and community facilities for all ages and mobility.
- Design buildings and spaces that have a distinctive character and environmental and design excellence.
Green and urban
- Define a rich variety of high quality public spaces and landscapes that are attractive and that support a wide range of activities and public events.
- The vision and ëplace principles' outlined above define the intended character of West Basin.