Anzac Parade is part of the 'Australian War Memorial and Memorial Parade' National Heritage Listing, and the ‘Parliament House Vista' Commonwealth Heritage Listing.
To guide the management of Anzac Parade, the NCA has prepared a management plan to identify, protect and manage the heritage values. The management plan was prepared in accordance with the heritage management principles and requirements for management plans under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. A Heritage Management Plan has also been prepared for the 'Parliament House Vista'.
The final report has been considered by the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities.
Purpose of Report
Anzac Parade is part of the 'Australian War Memorial and Memorial Parade' National Heritage Listing and the 'Parliament House Vista' Commonwealth Heritage Listing.
Under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act), all Commonwealth agencies are required to prepare management plans for Commonwealth Heritage Listed places under their management. The purpose of this management plan is to identify, protect and manage the heritage values of Anzac Parade. This management plan was prepared with the heritage management principles and requirements under the EPBC Act.
This management plan has been considered by the Department of the Environment.
This management plan confirms that Anzac Parade has significant heritage values and attributes. Anzac Parade (the National Heritage section between Constitution Avenue and the Australian War Memorial) is of outstanding heritage value because of its importance in Australia's history, as a rare form of commemoration of the relationship between Australia and New Zealand, for its aesthetic qualities, its creative achievement, social values and special associations. Many of these values are shared with or related to the adjacent Australian War Memorial. The Parade and Memorial are a single National Heritage place. Anzac Parade also makes a substantial contribution to the Commonwealth Heritage values of the Parliament House Vista area.
The management plan includes a range of conservation policies and recommendations to conserve, interpret and manage Anzac Parade. The key recommendations aim to:
- Achieve integrated management between the Parade and the Australian War Memorial to ensure a consistent approach to support the armed services community who use the Parade for commemorative purposes.
- Respecting and fostering the retention of significant associations between the armed services community and Anzac Parade, and with its individual memorials. This includes the sense of custodianship felt by this community.
- Conserve existing memorials.
- Conserve the treescape and overall landscape character of Anzac Parade.
- Protection of views and vistas to and from the Parade.
- Interpret the significance of Anzac Parade to the range of visitors who use the Parade.
For further information, please contact the NCA Cultural Heritage Manager on email@example.com or 02 6271 2888