The National Capital Authority (the NCA) welcomes commercial filming within Canberra's Parliamentary Triangle. The open areas within the Triangle are referred to as Unleased National Land and are regulated by the NCA.

Authorisation to film on Unleased National Land and to erect production-related works must be approved by the NCA.

Unleased National Land

Unleased National Land venues controlled by the NCA are as follows:

  • Commonwealth Park;
  • Kings Park;
  • Aspen Island (home of the National Carillon);
  • Springbank Island;
  • Lake Burley Griffin;
  • The Parliamentary Zone (see Paragraphs 4 and 5);
  • Anzac Parade;
  • Acton Peninsula (location of the National Museum of Australia);
  • Blamey Square;
  • Commonwealth Avenue Bridge; and
  • Kings Avenue Bridge.

The Parliamentary Zone is the area bounded by Commonwealth Avenue (to the west) and Kings Avenue (to the east), and Parliament House (to the south) and the Lake (to the north). The venues within the Zone are as follows:

  • Commonwealth Place,
  • the International Flags Display,
  • Reconciliation Place,
  • the Patrick White Lawns,
  • the Old Parliament House Gardens,
  • the National Rose Gardens,
  • the East, North and West Lawns,
  • Federation Mall, and
  • the National Circle Tunnel.

National institutions within the Zone are as follows:

  • the High Court of Australia ((02) 6270 6853);
  • the National Gallery of Australia ((02) 6240 6413);
  • the National Library of Australia ((02) 6262 1234);
  • the National Science and Technology Centre - Questacon ((02) 6270 2888);
  • Old Parliament House ((02) 6270 8165);
  • the National Archives of Australia ((02) 6212 3956);
  • the National Portrait Gallery ((02) 6270 8155); and
  • Parliament House. †††††††

Parliament House

Parliament House and its immediate surrounds, the Parliamentary Precincts, are controlled by Parliament House. Filming requests are to be directed to the House's Facilities Manager on (02) 6277 5226.

Anzac Parade

Filming is permitted in Anzac Parade, however, no equipment (other than hand-held or tripod-mounted cameras) is permitted on any of the memorial sites (including the aprons), and/or on the Parade's median strips.

Commonwealth Place

No vehicles are to be driven into and/or parked in the Commonwealth Place Cup Square, and/or the walkway connecting the Cup Square with the Place's upper levels.

Reconciliation Place

Under no circumstances are any vehicles, equipment and/or works to be positioned on the Mound in Reconciliation Place.

National Circle Tunnel

No filming and/or production-related equipment is permitted within National Circle (including the Tunnel) during weekday peak-hour periods (ie. 7.00am - 9.30am and 4.00pm - 6.00pm).

Road Closures

Any required road closures must, by law, be advertised to the public at least seven days prior to the closure taking place. Closures are to be managed by a temporary traffic management plan, which identifies what roads and/or areas of roads, need to be closed and the appropriate detours, signage and marshals required to control and maintain the flow of traffic.

Regardless of the size of the closure, production companies are required to contact and liaise with both Roads ACT ((02) 6207 6601) and the Australian Federal Police's Major Event Planning Unit ((02) 6287 0219) at least four (4) weeks prior to the commencement of filming.† †

It is the responsibility of the relevant production company to liaise with any institution or business that may be affected by a road closure. The company is to supply the NCA with a letter from the relevant institution, or business (prior to the commencement of filming) stating its acceptance of the closure.

Filming within the National Institutions

The NCA has no authorisation over any filming conducted inside the buildings of National Institutions that are situated on National Land.


Filming-related temporary structures (works) may be erected on Unleased National Land; however, any such structures require the prior approval, in writing, of the NCA. Structures (works) include film sets, marquees, tents, cabins, trailers, vans, sun-shelters, camera tracks, fencing, barricades, signs, port-a-loos, etc. A works approval application attracts a $110 administration fee.

Application Process

Production companies wishing to film on Unleased National Land are to submit the following documentation to the NCA:

  • an NCA Event Application/Indemnity Form;
  • a copy of the company's current public liability insurance's certificate of currency (to the amount of $10,000,000 (ten million dollars);
  • an NCA Application For Works Approval For An Event (if applicable);
  • a map detailing the location of all the relevant works (if applicable);
  • a $50 (fifty dollar) booking fee;
  • a $110 (one hundred and ten dollars) works application administration fee (if applicable);
  • letter/s of acknowledgement and acceptance of the filming from the relevant National institution/s (if applicable);
  • a risk management plan (if applicable);
  • a bond (if applicable); and
  • a copy of the Roads ACT's temporary traffic management plan (if applicable).

Registering to use Unleased National Land Venue

All applications for the use of Unleased National Land venues are to be made through the NCA's Events Co-ordinator on (02) 6271 2888.


Include a $50 application fee for filming on Unleased National Land and if applicable, a works application fee (for structures) of $110. Venue hire fees may apply.


Should the production require the discharging of any fire arms (including the firing of blank ammunition) a risk management plan, addressing the risk, is to be supplied to the NCA, and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) is to be informed of the matter.††

The Captain Cook Memorial Jet and the Federation Centenary Fountains

The operating timings for the Captain Cook Memorial Jet (situated in Lake Burley Griffin's Central Basin - off Regatta Point) are between 2.00pm - 4.00pm daily. Requests to operate the Jet outside these timings may be arranged for a fee.†††

The Federation Centenary Fountains, situated to the north of Old Parliament House, at the North Lawns, are currently not operational.


Most of the venues on Unleased National Land have electrical power outlets. Generally there is no fee charged for the use of these utilities; however, a setting-up/connection fee is charged for the use of the outlets in the southern (upper) section of Federation Mall.


For any production where there is a possibility of damage to the relevant area, production companies may be required to place a bond with the NCA to cover the cost of any relevant production-related refurbishment.

Vehicle Parking

With the exception of the following, all vehicles are to be parked in the relevant area's designated car parks: Parking fees apply where applicable.

  • Essential Filming Vehicles (vehicles carrying equipment and/or facilities required by the cast and crew to carry-out the filming; this includes vehicles for catering, costumes, make-up, lighting and/or additional props);
  • Essential Vehicles (vehicles that need to be in close proximity to the filming location; eg. generator, props and shuttle vehicles, etc); and/or
  • On-Set Vehicles (vehicles used on-camera as a part of a filming sequence).


Camping on Unleased National Land, day or night, is not permitted.